Munster Club Championship

Great to see John Donegan, Club President , and his wife Kathleen before the game against Thurles Sarsfields

Munster Club Senior Hurling

Venue: Páirc Mac Gearailt, Cill Mocheallóg

Date: 28 Oct. 2012        Time: 2pm

Kilmallock  0-15 Thurles Sarsfields 2-12

Well I guess it just wasn’t to be as Thurles Sarsfields defeated us for the second time in our own field. There can be no excuses as they were generally the better team.

Having said all that, things were really looking up for us early on in the game when Kilmallock really got stuck in as Paudie O’Brien scored three brilliant points in quick succession to give us an early 0-3 to 0-1 lead. This was followed by another great point from Paudie’s midfield partner Robbie Egan.

The Thurles boys  now realised that they were in a match and decided that enough was enough. Their six backs put a strangle hold on our forwards and all we could show for the rest of the half was another point from an  Eoin Ryan free,while Thurles added 1-7 and deservedly led by 1-7 to 0-5 at half time.

Feature of the first half from a Kilmallock point of view  was the performance of our backs and midfielders. They were excellent.

The first half also had its controversial moments when the referee seemed very harsh in his decision making towards Kilmallock. So enraged was Kilmallock’s manager, Tony Considine, that he went on to the field to  remonstrate with the referee. A Sarsfield mentor was also ordered from the field.

The second half was a rip roaring affair as Kilmallock went about reducing Thurles Sarsfields lead. They brought it back to one point and things were now looking good. But then, unfortunately, Kilmallock were rocked back on their heels when Lar Corbett scored a goal for Thurles and this was followed by another Thurles Sarsfield point.

Thurles now led again by five points and the lads had to start all over again. They could easily have thrown in the towel at this point but to their eternal credit, they went on to show what they were made of and once more, after some Trojan work, brought the lead back to one point.

Following this we shot a couple of bad wides and were unlucky not to score a goal in the dying moments of the game. Unfortunately it wasn’t to be as Thurles Sarsfields added two more points to win the game on a scoreline of  2-12 to 0-15.

Needless to say the Kilmallock players, mentors and all connected with the club were devastated following the final whistle. But they can all hold their heads high.

Best for Kilmallock were goalkeeper, Barry Hennessy, Philip O’Loughlin, who had a super game all through, Liam Hurley, Liam Walsh, Paudie O’Brien, Robbie Egan, Eoin Ryan and Shane O’Donnell.

The team lined out as follows:

B Hennessy; L Hurley, Philip O’Loughlin, K O’Mahony; L Walsh, G O’Mahony, B O’Sullivan; R Egan 0-1, P O’Brien (0-3); J Mulcahy, P O’Dwyer 0-1, E Ryan 0-6, G Mulcahy, K O’Donnell 0-1, S O’Donnell 0-3.

Subs: K Kenneally 0-1 for Jake Mulcahy (48 min.), Owen Webb O’Rourke, John Meade, Aaron Costello, Derek O’Mahony, John Kelly, Donal Barry, Conor Crowley, David Barry, Eamonn Maguire, Andrew O’Shaughnessy.

Manager: Tony Considine

Selectors: James Connery and Gavin O’Sullivan

Trainers: Diarmuid Mullins, Aidan O’Brien

Physio: Andrew Goodman

Team Doctor: Dr. Kevin Twomey

First Aid: Brendan Leahy


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *